Thursday, June 4, 2009

The 9th Month Roller Coaster

For the past two months I have been writing and rewriting my "To Do Before the Baby Arrives" lists and diligently crossing items off the list as I space out my projects over the last two months of pregnancy. Call me a nerd but it helps me focus on something and relieve some stress for me after the baby's born if I - have the basement cleaned out, the car thoroughly cleaned, the baby bottles sanitized and put away, and all of the clothes washed in Dreft and organized in the drawers. I even went so far this time to organize the changing table with hand sanitizer, wipes, diapers, gauze and Vaseline (for post circumcision care).

As week 37 approached I crossed off my last few items, packed my hospital bag and finally felt like I was ready for the baby to arrive. Because of some complications with a large baby last time the doctors have been telling me all along that they'll induce me a week early this time to prevent another large baby. Although I've tried to remain realistic about going into labor any sooner than 39 weeks when they finally give me that much needed pitocin, I still get a little glimmer of hope each time I think I'm having a contraction stronger than a Braxton Hicks. You'd think after going through the roller coaster of emotions for a month last time around that I'd learn my lesson, but I guess an expectant mother just can't help herself in wishing - maybe this time it'll come early.
After another prenatal appointment this morning confirming that I am still not making any progress I felt even more discouraged. A doctor I hadn't seen before even went so far as to say they won't induce me if I continue to not make any progress. This was a low point in the roller coaster ride. My supportive husband convinced me not to be too upset about it and that he'll accompany to my next appointment and we can go in there ready for an action plan.
In the end I know everything will work out and although it seems like this baby will never arrive I'm sure my next post will be the announcement for his birth. I just know there are a lot of mothers that have ridden the same roller coaster and survived it. In the mean time I'm trying to remember the freedoms and conveniences I now enjoy with one fairly easy two year old and to take advantage of my time with him while I can. I'll keep you posted....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! Those last few weeks can be torture, and I totally feel your pain. But soon enough he'll be here and you'll forget all of that because you'll be so busy with two sweet boys! Can't wait for pictures!

Karmann said...

I am sorry babe that you have been going through such a roller coaster of emotions! I know ( well not actually, can imagine) that the process of waiting can be hard! Just know that no matter what in the end you will have this wonderful little baby and nothing will even matter what happened before. I will be thinking of you and praying that things progress for you and you can be done! Love ya!

Melissa said...

We are so excited for you! You will love having the two kidos. Its so fun to see them together. We can't wait to hear about his arrival and hopefully we will be able to see him when we are in Utah this summer.

the sorensons said...

i am crossing my fingers for you that your dr's will smartin up and you can join me in having a baby early! go julia!!!!!

Heather and Eric said...

Can't wait to get the news! Good luck with everything!