Friday, May 20, 2011

Catch Up! - Belgium/ Netherlands Trip

 
 Wow so much has happened in the last 2 months. We've been crazy busy. I've been wanting to journal everything on here as much as I can. Although this is a mega post of 16 pictures I feel like this will do our Belgium/ Netherlands trip no justice. We had a great time. I love traveling and it was great to Paula and Loel on their mission there. The boys were a little tough on the plan but did amazingly well traveling and touring around Belgium and the Netherlands thanks to umbrella strollers. So here it goes - our trip in a nut shell:
 
The boys never slept on the plane on the way over - go figure- and fell asleep as we were going through immigration. This is how they met Paula and Loel at the airport in Amsterdam.
We immediately got in the car and left for Keukenhof (I probably just slaughtered the spelling). Its like the Disneyland of flower gardens in the Netherlands and it was beautiful! I can't even describe the endless beds of beautiful perfect spring flowers and the smell was divine. 
A family shot over one of the small rivers
Andy probably has about 20 shots like this of beautiful flowers
Of course no trip to Belgium can be complete without at least 3 trips into the local chocolate shops. I loved the chocolates I bought. I only wish I'd bought more. Yes thats Shelly next to me in this picture. We joined them for the last 2 days of their trip. It was really fun being there with them. 
And we also had a few Belgium waffles. So good.
Tyler even did a little missionary work. Never shy of strangers, Tyler approached this guy in the sandwich shop and asked about his motorcycle. The guy brought him outside to look at it and take a picture. The man asked why we were there and who the missionaries were with us. The missionaries had a chance to talk to him and got his contact information to meet with him at a later time. Even a four year old knows its good to open your mouth and talk to people around you. You never know what may come of it.
Of course spending some time with Grandma and Grandpa after a year apart was the best part of all. Bryce hadn't seen them since he was about 10 months. He started calling Paula "Gub Gub" for Grandma. 
This was probably Tyler's favorite part of Brugge. (Brugge was probably my favorite city in Belgium by the way). We let him take a ride on this little amusement ride in the center of the city. He rode on a motorcycle on a track. Tyler was very serious the whole time he was riding the motorcycle.  When got off he ran over to us and said "I turned the right way every time!"
Another highlight of the trip was sword fighting in front of a real castle. Andy brought along the boys nerf swords because its one of their favorite things to play with Dad. 
They were victorious of course. 
I wouldn't want to meet this guy on the battle field.

In Brugge we also stopped at this artists stand to look at his paintings. I looked over and saw Tyler painting on the canvas. thinking he was ruining the painting I immediately told him to put the brush down. I then realized the artist was right there and he said "No no its okay.' He let Tyler paint with him a little. He said "Before it was technique. Now it is art." Tyler told him about some of the finger painting he's done too.

This is near some old fashioned windmills in the Netherlands. We spent a few days up there too. I loved how people decorated their homes in the Netherlands. They all had beautiful flowers in their windows.
This was probably my favorite meal at a pannekoken house in the Netherlands. Pannekoken is the Dutch version of a crepe. Our dinner crepe had pesto, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts on it. Paula and Loel's was really good too with apples, bacon and cheese on it. It was a wonderful trip and a great break before all of the chaos of moving that followed (that will be in the next blog post).

1 comment:

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

My older brother served in Amsterdam! He would be jealous of your trip! Looks like you had an awesome time!