Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Road Trip

After we got back from the Netherlands mid April we had about 2 and half weeks to pack and move to Maryland. Andy's last day at Wasatch was May 4th. The following Sunday afternoon we finally closed the door on the moving van and got in our car to begin our 5 day road trip to Maryland. I have more pictures of this but they're on Andy's phone who's not home right now. (Maybe I'll add them later). The drive ended up not being as bad as we thought thanks to modern conveniences like DVD players. It was actually fairly relaxing and we got to see a lot of the country. We drove through 9 states in total. We decided to do a little best and worst of our trip.
Pictured above is the day we drove through Illinois. I got to have dinner with my friends at Colonial and the kids played at the Cherry Hill park where I grew up. We stayed the night in Naperville and the next morning we had the best meal of our trip. Breakfast at Butterfields in Naperville. I had a date, goat cheese and bacon omelet. I craved it all day after and had to make it again once we got to my mom's in Maryland. Here's the boys with their balloons outside the restaurant.


 This is the receipt for the most expensive pit stop of the trip. Getting gas in Oakbrook, IL. The total bill was $62.67. It cost 80 cents in tolls to get on and off the freeway here too. AND Andy went into the gas station to get some ice and the attendant followed him back out to the car and told him he needed to pay 30 cents for the ice!
 Going to the Lincoln Park Zoo that day with the kids was the highlight of the road trip for me. I loved being there with just our family, walking around being outside on a nice day. The boys and I watched this polar bear swim laps for about 20 min. I got the coolest pictures. Andy was bummed he missed it because he was still taking pictures of some birds at a different exhibit.
We also saw the fanciest overpass in Nebraska. The most amount of nothing in eastern Colorado and Nebraska. The dirtiest rest stop in Iowa. The nicest rest stop in Ohio. The slowest drivers are in Ohio and the fastest were maybe Utah actually. Thanks to GPS we made it safely to Frederick on Thursday, May 12th.The weather was warm and sunny the whole way across the country. We never even hit any rain. Once we arrived the work began! More on that to come...

No comments: