Monday, May 26, 2008

Saying Goodbye

So here we are - the night before leaving for Samoa. Andy and I both commented tonight that we feel like we've just been in "Go" mode for the past several weeks haven't really let the emotions of the change hit us fully yet. We've said good-bye to lots of friends and relatives over the past week. We feel so blessed to have made the great friends we did while living in Spanish Fork. We will never forget how humble and generous everyone was that we were able to build relationships with. Especially over the past several weeks we've been so blessed by others service there. I have a sad feeling in my heart realizing now how many of our friends are also "moving on" during the next few months with new jobs or opportunities that will take them away from the neighborhood. I've always felt that certain people are put into our lives for a reason to teach us something and I'm so grateful for all we learned from you.
The past several days have been spent saying goodbye to family. It has a different kind of sadness I think. In a lot of ways we think - they're our family, we'll always be in touch and we'll always make a way to see you. But it has been nice to be so close to Andy's family and to always be able to rely on you for so much. I will miss the birthday parties with the little kids, tennis on Saturdays at BYU (not that I played), and Girls nights. Its the little things we won't be around to be a part of on a regular basis. On the other hand I feel like this experience will bring us closer in a lot of ways too as we're able to share it with everyone. Sometimes I think that when you have to make more of an effort in the relationship it can make it deeper. I hope this happens with all of our family during this time. Keep checking the blog though and we'll be able to share all of our great adventures with everyone.
These pictures are a few of last night and tonight. (Above) Tyler took a bath with his cousin Caroline. He loves to play with Caroline and they had a blast splashing each other with water. They soaked everything, including me.
The bottom pictures are of Tyler and our friends the Gleason's daughter Ruthie. We kind of hope Tyler and Ruthie will be married some day. These would be some great shots for their wedding album!

6 comments:

carin t said...

Saying goodbye sucks. that's why I have to pretend that one year is no time at all. It will fly by. . . :) Matt was even "pained" at having to do the goodbyes. It is sad to know you are flying away right now, but I am very excited for you. I'll pray for an uneventful flight, and a quiet, patient child for you.:) You are going to have a wonderful experience!!! Don't hesitate to email (when you get it). I am all ready for a novel from you - whether you are freaking out or loving Samoa.:)

Heather and Eric said...

I have been thinking a lot about you, lately. I hope everything is going well. I am sure you guys will have a great experience! Samoa will love you guys!

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

We helped your "replacement" move in today. She seems super nice, but it's not the same. We sure miss you and hope you're loving Samoa! We can't wait for an update to hear how it's all going.

Shelly Moon said...

So fun to see the pics in the tub, and hear about your weeks before the move, and hear about your trip to Maryland! Your parents are so cute with Tyler!
Isn't this stage so fun? Ben tries to say words too, it's so cute how they don't sound like the word but you can guess what they are trying to say. Now that Tyler is walking, isn't that the cutest thing too? I love watching wobbly Ben walk around the room with his chest sticking out and his arms up. So cute!! We look forward to more updates!!

the sorensons said...

oh we sure miss you guys!!! and are terribly sad we never got to actually say goodbye!(i don't think park city counts:) ) we hope things are going well so far! keep us posted!

Clayton and Amber said...

We hope all is going well in Samoa to you guys. We can't wait for an update and to see what you have been busy doing the last month! Tyler is cuter than ever, love the pics!