Suzie and I had been training for a 10K charity race for the past 2 ½ weeks. Unfortunately 2 days before the race Suzie got sick and decided she’d better not run it since she was leaving the following Monday for American and didn’t want to be sick for the trip. Andy decided that he’d run it with me, even though he hadn’t trained.
So we left at about 5:30 that morning with Tyler and the Seller’s jogging stroller in the car to be at the other side of the island by 6:30 since the race started at 7:00. We miss calculated how much time it would actually take to get there and ended up being 15 minutes late. (Tyler also randomly threw up on the way there so we had to stop in the middle of some village, get him out strip him down and clean him up- he ended up being fine after that). So we pulled up to the start line, hurried and got out the stroller and started the race 15 minutes behind everyone else. The race was a half marathon, 10K, and a 3K. It was an out and back race so we got to pass everyone coming back on our way out. It was definitely not the same crowd that turns out for the Freedom Run in Provo every Fourth of July. I’ve never seen so many people run barefoot or in flip flops. My favorite was one man who ran the 10K in church shoes, dress socks, a lava lava and a t-shirt. He was probably in his 50s and ran and walked the whole way. He finished after Andy and I and jumped up and down pumping his fists as he galloped across the finish in his lava lava. I loved it.
Andy and I stood out a lot in our microfiber shirts, our Mizuno running shoes and our baby jogger. Tyler was a great sport during the run and kept dropping cheerios for the wild dogs. We had one dog follow us for about 3 miles. It was a beautiful course though, all along the beach road. I still don’t know what our time was and I don’t really care. This picture of us crossing the finish line ended up making it into the Sunday paper here in Samoa with an article about the race.
No comments:
Post a Comment