Monday, August 25, 2008

Savaii


Its been awhile and I need to catch up on my blog entries. Here's a short synopsis of our August trip to Savaii. The other larger island that makes up Western Samoa. Its about 20 years behind this island. But its beautiful and untouched. We had to take an hour and half ferry ride to get over there which was way over crowded and not very safe for toddlers. Andy was a good sport to hold Tyler most of the way over. But once we were there we had a blast!

We swam with turtles
We swam in waterfalls
And we visited some beautiful beaches.


Interesting fact; Savaii is the farthest western land mass before the International Dateline. There are some places on Savaii where on a clear day you can see to the Tongan islands which are across the International Dateline and technically in the next day. So some say - you can see into the future. We sat next to a man on the ferry on our way over who was from a village on Savaii. When we asked him where his village was he said “I live where the sun sets.” I’m not sure he even understood how poetic that statement was because when I started to tell him how true it was with the proximity of the International Dateline, he didn’t seem to follow me. I thought of that statement a lot though as I sat on the beach later that evening and watched a near perfect sunset. There I was where East meets West and Today meets Tomorrow and where the sun would set for the last time that day. I thought: this will make a great blog entry.





1 comment:

Karmann said...

I love that you got to touch the turtles!! I love turtles! the picture of the sunset was beautiful! What a great place you live at right now!