Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gratefuls


(Grateful #1 - My son)
Two days ago I had a very low point in our stay in Samoa. I came down with a cold Tuesday night and was feeling pretty lousy. Our car was in the shop for the 3rd time since we bought it and I had no way of getting anywhere. Andy was also sick and Tyler was getting his fourth and last molar . Its probably been one of the hottest weeks since we've arrived and on top of that we've had daily power outtages for at least 3 hours everyday. I was putting Tyler down for his afternoon nap when he looked at me and said "Prayer Time?" (from the mouth of babes). We don't usually say prayers before his naps, only before bed, but who can turn down a one year old who wants to pray. I started the prayer and said "Thank you for..." and felt like at that moment I couldn't think of a lot to be grateful for. Well I realized instantly that was what I needed to do - Be grateful.
So this is what my grateful list became:
1. a healthy, wonderful son who teaches me so to look at whats important when I'm feeling grumpy
2. a supportive, loving husband who provides for us with a good job
3. my family back in the U.S. that supports and loves us
4. a nice home
5. food on the table
6. an education
7. Electricity
8. My faith
9. Good health
10. The power to change my outlook

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We've had similar conversations this month. It's good we have kids to keep us on the strait and narrow! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

Shelly Moon said...

I am so proud of you Julia! To look at the positive is such a huge part of life, and it seems like you are doing that while you are in Samoa. Tyler is so full of light, I love seeing his happy face. I bet that makes you happy each day!