So I've sat down to do a blog entry many times over the past month and just didn't know where to start. So today I'm going to try to catch up a little. I wanted to post about the things that have been easier or harder than I imagined with coming back to the States. In a lot of ways I think we acclimated too quickly. Really this is what I've known my whole life so its easy to slip back into the way things always were. Here are a few items of mention from our "transition."
What I noticed most when first driving down 1-15 in Utah: The wealth: everyone has such nice homes, stores, etc in America.
Unexpected difficult transition: locating a car in a Wal-Mart/ Costco parking lot (Andy and I have lost our car three times now, I guess we're a little out of practice with large parking lots)
Slowest learning curve: I still turn on my windshield wipers every time I make a turn in a left hand drive now.
Biggest commercial thrill of coming home: Going to a American grocery store - 20 aisles of endless possibilities for dinner!
Things that have stuck with us somewhat: Not feeling like I have to look fashionable and wear make up everyday. I do more than I did in Samoa, but if I'm not going anywhere besides Wal-Mart that day - why put in the effort? Tyler was playing with a roll of wrapping paper in the kitchen the other day and was holding it with both hands and sweeping it back and forth across the floor, saying "I cut the grass." (Everyone mows their lawns with weed wackers in Samoa) Tyler still thinks this is how you cut the grass and imitates a weed wacker instead of a lawn mower.
Things we miss about Samoa: the lack of crowds, we were hit hard with the reality of crowds the second we stepped off the plane in LAX, the day before Christmas Eve! It was a nightmere, but we made it to Utah somehow. We miss the Nius too, although we found a family at church that can get us Taro and make Palusami! I miss how hospitable everyone is in Samoa too. They're such a welcoming people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey do you have a recipe for palusami? If so, I'd love to get it, too! About the make-up everyday thing. I have finally gotten to that point myself and I didn't have to go to Samoa to get there. :) I just realized one day or over a series of days that really, if I was just staying home all day, what was the point? Other than walking by a mirror. But I could always just look away. ha ha
Post a Comment