Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas in Maryland

Highlights from our trip to Maryland over Christmas. The boys and I got to spend 13 days in Maryland with my parents, my sister and her husband and her daughter Anya. Andy left a few days earlier to return to work. Here are the Kippens second generation on Christmas Eve.

My dad would always read Sarah and I The Night Before Christmas before we got into bed on Christmas Eve when we were kids. I love this picture of my dad reading it to the next generation.

Santa left lots of fun stuff for the kids. Tyler got this toy guitar which he rocked out on all Christmas morning til Andy decided it had mysteriously disappeared for the rest of the day. Tyler also got the movie How to Train Your Dragon from Santa and a game called Cooties, a remote control Lightning McQueen car, legos, books, hand puppets and play dough.

I was actually really excited for Tyler to give Bryce this stuffed dog since Tyler was actually thoughtful about it and I know how much Bryce loves dogs. His face doesn't show it here but he does actually like the "doggie" now. Bryce also got a Sit N Spin, kids musical instrument set, Toy Story 3, markers that only work on the paper, a crash car, and books.
The Wednesday evening after Christmas my parents treated all of us to a limo ride to see all of the lights in D.C. We all rode in this stretch limo to see Seneca Park (a state park filled with Christmas lights), the Washington D.C. temple, and the National Christmas tree in front of the White House. We rode in style with our snacks and Marinelli's in wine glasses. We got to pull right up to each of the attractions and get out to walk around a little. We played games on the way home. It was a pretty unique experience.


We were also able to visit my Aunt Terry's family one evening for dinner. Two years ago Tyler got to ride on my Uncle Doug's tractor (pictured below) while we were visiting and he talked about it for months afterwards. We reminded him about the tractor on our way over and my uncle was nice enough to let him have another ride and brave the bitter cold outside.

We also visited the dairy farm again to feed the baby cows. We watched them bring in one baby cow that was still all wet because it had just been born that day!

My dad getting friendly with the baby cows.

Bryce wasn't as afraid of the cows this time. I think he looks cute here in his hat and huge poofy coat.

Tyler in downtown Frederick on New Year's Day.

This wall is kind of an optical illusion. The artist has painted walls all over the city that look 3D and very realistic until you see up close that they're just painted on a concrete wall. Kind of cool.

Bryce and my dad at Baker's Park. My boys really love my dad (and my mom). They always want Pop to play with them. Bryce would always follow my dad around saying "Pa! Pa!" and then motion for him to follow him into the living room to play with the electric train. He loves to be with his Pop and I know he misses him. It was a really nice trip. Unfortunately the boys and I got sick right before we left. I spent 2 1/2 hours at urgent care with Bryce on Tuesday and found out he had an ear infection in both ears. Traveling for 10 hours alone with 2 sick kids on Wednesday was not something I want to do again anytime soon. I had a major migraine by the time we got back to Provo. On the plane ride home Tyler came down with a fever too and I've spent the past two days since we got home taking care of sick kids. At least they waited til we were leaving to come down with it.


1 comment:

carin t said...

Glad you had such a fun time and that your family traditions are moving on with the next generation. So neat!