Friday, January 28, 2011

Whats up with the Kids

I've been meaning for awhile to do a post of what the kids are doing right now as my own little log. Maybe its interesting to the grandparents too. Just know the detailed account that follows is more for my own record keeping then that I think everyone really cares to read it.



Bryce - 19 1/2 months
He is full of personality. Hamming it up for an audience one second and throwing screaming tantrums on the floor the next. He can be pretty intense. When he's hungry he'll act as if he hasn't eaten in days and we reguarly deprive him of food. (not the case). If his trains fall over in the living room he'll run over to me saying "Fa! Fa! (fall)" and in a panick pull on my arm until I can come assess the train crash situation.

Bryce also continues to have a "I'm going to do it my way" personality. I'm not going to crawl. I'm going to scoot on my bum. I won't walk until I'm good and ready and I'm not going to say words like you do I'm going to make up my own! I talked to the pediatrictian about my concerns that Bryce is developing his own language but he assured me its fairly normal for his age and as long as he seems to understand me okay - his hearing is probably fine.

Here is a list of Bryce's made up words to date:

Milk - guaog guaog (its a weird glotteral sound that we don't think even exists in the English lanuage, maybe Chinese..)
Chocolate milk - Mine key
Crayon (or any writing utensil) - Beebee
Please - Ree Ree (usually he just signs it)

All Done - Na na (also signs this)
Food - Nummy

Words that are actually close to the English language:
Dog - Doggie (probably his best pronounced word, also his favorite animal)
Potty - poppy
Poop - pooo
Clean up - Meanup
Car - Ca
Book - bu
Blankie - benkie
Tyler - either Ty Ty or Tibee
Ball - Ba
Juice - Ju
Toast - Toe
Nose - No
Teeth - Teef
Shoes - Foos
Broke - Bro
Fall - Fa
Train - go go
Cracker - crackie
Bucket - buckie
Back pack - baka
All Gone - aga
Costco- caco
He also says trash, yucky, stuck. Mama, Dad, Kitty cat, and monkey. There's probably others he's said that I don't remember too. Unfortunately I'm probably the only one that understands most of these. But I'm just glad we can start to communicate through more than just screams.

He's fairly independent and walked right into nursery at 18 months and never looked back. The nursery leaders said they've never had a kid adjust as well to being in nursery as Bryce. They only time they've ever brought him to me was when he had a poopy diaper and then they had a hard time getting him to leave. He doesn't even seem to care when Andy and I come to pick him up.

Things Bryce likes right now - Trains. Ever since playing with the electric train at my parents house Bryce loves gogos. He links up his small Thomas the Tank trains and makes tracks for them in the family room. He also likes playing in the potty (unfortunate for me). He loves to sit on Tyler's training potty and pretend to go potty. After a few seconds he'll make a distressed face and say "Pooo." Then stand up and give me a high five. He loves anything Tyler's doing too and wants to be just like him. Too bad they also fight over a lot of toys. He also loves sitting on mom's lap with a sippy cup of milk and his "benkie."


Tyler - almost 4 years

Tyler is at a very curious age. He probably asks me about 30 questions a day.

Typical questions Tyler asks me:
Do spiders have noses?
Do sharks have blow holes like whales do?
If I feed a bear will he hurt me?
How long will it take my poop to reach to ocean?

Possibly what Tigger looks like in Tyler's mind
I also really need to post about Tigger. Tigger has been Tyler's imaginary friend for probably over a year now. I think he was "inspired" by a character on the movie Kung Fu Panda (which has since been banned at our house because Tyler started doing Kung fu moves on everyone after he'd watched it). According to Tyler Tigger is a very large black Tiger with rings on his tail that isn't afraid of anything, talks in a very deep voice and is Tyler's best friend. We kind of think of Tigger as Tyler's alter ego. He's everything Tyler wishes he could be. Fast, strong, and most importantly fearless. When I can tell Tyler's afraid of something he often tells me he's not scared anymore because he knows Tigger can fight whatever it is he's afraid of. His child therapist father says its a good and healthy way for Tyler to work out his fears.  We know Tigger is "around" because Tyler will start talking in a really deep voice. Interesting that Tigger always "goes home" when actual kids are around for Tyler to play with though.We don't know how long Tigger will stick around, but we kind of feel like he's a part of the family and I'm glad he helps Tyler feel safe.

2 comments:

carin t said...

the "faraway" cousins, aunties and uncles like hearing this stuff, too. :) Cute!

carin t said...
This comment has been removed by the author.